St James College, Spring Hill was established in 1868 by the administrator of St Stephen’s Cathedral. The school was the first Catholic boys school in Queensland and one of the first three schools in the colony of Moreton Bay. The school educated children from poor migrant families alongside children from local families.
In 1893, the Christian Brothers took over the running of the school and the Edmund Rice ethos was installed. The Touchstones of Liberating Education, Gospel Spirituality, Inclusive Community, Justice and Solidarity are as relevant today as they were in 1893.
The school was known to be one where all students were welcome, and every effort was made to meet their needs.
In 1919, a Christian Brothers publication revealed that St James was the biggest Christian Brothers school in Queensland with over 500 students. Fast forward 100 years and St James College is a coeducational college for students from Years 7-12, with over 520 enrolled students.
The college is enriched by families of many faith traditions and promotes strong ecumenical and interfaith understanding.