Vocational Education and Training (VET)
VIDEO - St James College VET Program
Head of Faculty
Mr Anthony Hill
Nationally Recognised Training
St James College - RTO 30526
Vocational Education and Training (VET) refers to education and training that focuses on delivering skills and knowledge required for specific industries. It is a learning option for young people in the senior phase of learning.
Participating in VET can:
- Provide credit points towards the attainment of a Queensland Certificate of Education and or the attainment of a nationally recognised VET Qualification.
- Support young people's transitions to employment, vocational and higher educational pathways.
Other benefits of participating in VET include (but are not limited to):
- Obtaining practical experience from work
- Gaining familiarity on how workplaces operate
- Developing employability skills
- Developing and improving interpersonal skills
- Allowing students to explore the potential career paths they would like to pursue.
VET Certificate Courses
St James College is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) number 30526. The College can offer a large range of nationally accredited certificates as part of the school curriculum. All Certificate courses offered at St James incur no fees for students. The certificates described may change as new Training packages come into effect.
St James offers the following qualifications on campus:
For further information about VET at St James please refer to the VET Student Handbook or request a copy from the school VET Manager.
The RTO cannot guarantee successful completion of a qualification or an employment outcome.
Recoginition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is the acknowledgement of skills and knowledge obtained through
- Formal training (conducted by industry or education)
- Work experience
- Life experience
For more information on RPL please refer to the VET Student Handbook
Complaints and Appeals
Any person wishing to make a complaint against the school concerning its conduct as an RTO, whether a complaint, appeal or other matter, shall have access to the complaints and appeals procedure. Complaints include conduct of the RTO, its trainers, assessors or other staff; a third party providing services on the RTO's behalf, its trainers, assessors or other staff; or a student of the RTO. An appeal can be a request for a review of decisions, including assessment decisions, made by the RTO or a third party providing services on the RTO's behalf.
All formal complaints and appeals will be heard and decided within 15 working days of the receipt of the written complain/appeal by the school. The VET Manager will keep a Register of Complaints and Appeals which documents all formal complaints/appeals and their resolution. Any substantiated complaints/appeals will be reviewed as part of the continuous improvement procedure. The principles of natural justice and procedural fairness are adopted at every stage of the complaint and appeal process.
All external complaints and appeals should be directed to the Queensland Curriculum & Assessment Authority (QCAA). For further information
The St James College RTO Complaints and Appeals Policy and Procedure can be found here
Students who enter the course after the start date will have a negotiated package of units that will lead to a statement of attainment not a completed qualification.
Assessment in VET certificates is competency based. Competency means that consistent application of knowledge and skill to the standard of performance required in the workplace. It embodies the ability to transfer and apply skills and knowledge to new situation and environments.
St James College cannot guarantee:
- A student will obtain a particular employment outcome
- A student will successfully complete the qualification or units of competency
- Late enrolments will be able to access missed competencies to complete a qualification
VET resources can be found in the links below
- Teaching & Learning
- Curriculum Overview
- Middle School (Years 7-10)
- Senior School (Years 11-12)
- Subjects Available
- Vocational Education and Training
- Teaching & Learning Support
- Exams & Assessment